We’ve continued to improve the design of the PL1 based on our testing and the feedback we’ve received from people interested in our product. The resulting changes make the Zoa PL1 more reliable and easier to use.
We’ve made it easier for users of the PL1 to swap out the battery, while ensuring a safe and water resistant battery enclosure. The new design features four captive screws and creates the potential for higher capacity battery options in the future. Skiers and snowboarders who are looking to get a few more laps will now be able to bring an extra battery with them in case they run out of juice.
You might also notice that the motor is no longer exposed. We’ve added a cover to improve water resistance and safety.
The third major design change is the added lanyard. While we’ve had one on our prototype for a while (see pictures from update 2), we went about the business of modelling it and modifying the tension arm to improve clearance. This change is the result of a lot of feedback from nutcracker loving Kiwis, who use a harness when riding uphill to make things a little easier on their arms.
Some less apparent changes include the new gearbox we mentioned in our previous update, updated controller configuration and mounting, changes to the connectors and some minor changes to the frame. These changes not only make the Zoa PL1 a better product (the new gearbox reduces weight, increases torque and reduces misfeeds) but also make the Zoa PL1 more efficient for us to produce.
Eric Button, co-founder
P.S. Thanks for all the well wishes with regards to my broken knee. It’s healing well and I’m optimistic about a quick recovery without missing too much of the ski season.